Benefits of Registering a Trademark
Trademarks can be highly valuable, as your brand can increase consumer recognition, customer goodwill, and in turn, greater profits. When you begin using a name, logo, or something else that distinguishes your brand, you will have some trademark protection automatically. However, there are several benefits to applying to officially register your trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). To discuss the registration of your specific trademark, contact a trademark lawyer in Orlando. The following are some general benefits you may enjoy from trademark registration
- Your trademark will appear in trademark searches, possibly deterring others from using the same or similar mark.
- Registration prevents others from registering a confusingly similar mark.
- You have nationwide protection and not just in your geographical area.
- Provides nationwide notice of your trademark, preventing other parties from claiming “good faith” use of the mark
- Constitutes evidence of your exclusive and valid ownership of the trademark.
- Allows you to use ® instead of “™” which provides notice to other parties that you are serious about your trademark and protecting its ownership.
- Gives you the right to file a federal lawsuit for infringement to seek damages in addition to an injunction. You can seek statutory damages for counterfeiting instead of having to prove actual damages.
- Helps facilitate foreign registrations.
Overall, having an official trademark registration can provide significantly stronger protections and give you additional rights if someone infringes on your mark. If you’re considering applying for registration, contact an Orlando trademark attorney to learn more about your options.
Contact a Trademark Lawyer in Orlando for More Information
Daniel Law Offices, P.A. helps clients with a wide range of intellectual property matters, including trademark, copyright, and patent protection. If you have any IP needs or concerns, call 866.377.2836 or contact us online for a consultation today.